National Register #84000131
305 North Grape Street
Waverly Cottage, also known as the Shone-Charley House, was constructed in 1895 by Joe Shone in the Queen Anne/Eastlake style.
Shone was born in England in 1865, and arrived in Medford in 1895 with a wife and two children. Designed by architect W. J. Bennet,
the house is a remarkable example of complex design and elaborate embellishment. During the construction of his home, Joe managed the
Barnum planing mill, and served as primary contractor for the Wilkinson-Swem Building in downtown Medford.
Named Waverly Cottage by the Shones, the house was sold to William and Andromeda Charley in 1901.
Born in 1832 in Hursttown, Indiana, William Charley arrived in Jackson County with his wife and children in 1876. Upon retirement
from raising cattle, the Charleys purchased the property, and the house remained in the Charley family until 1978.
Quoted from City of Medford Historic Renovation Award 2008.