National Register #79002051
Sandy Creek Covered Bridge
Sandy Creek Road
The following is from the Covered Bridges section of oregon.com:
The Sandy Creek covered bridge carried traffic on Oregon Highway 42 until it was bypassed in 1949. The 60-foot span was considered short in
comparison to other covered bridges built on Oregon highways.
The bridge is strengthened by two crossed Howe truss members on each chord, a rarity in short covered bridges.
An additional aspect of the bridge is the use of large-framed windows on both sides of the structure, maximizing the illumination of the bridge interior.
In late 1981, a plan was developed to make a park at the bridge and use the old wooden structure as a covered picnic site. The Myrtle Point Lions
Club adopted the bridge as a major project.
Work at the site began in 1982 and included a new roof, replacing boards and structural pieces, clearing brush and applying a coat of white paint.
The park was dedicated in 1984 and now includes a tourist information center at the bridge site.
The nearby community of Remote received its name, it is believed, due to its geographic isolation.