National Register of Historic Places in Pershing County
The Pershing County Courthouse is an architecturally and historically significant Neoclassical style building designed by prominent Nevada architect, Frederic J. DeLongchamps in 1920-21. During the course of the his career (1906-1965), DeLongchamps was responsible for the designs of over 500 buildings, the majority of which were constructed in his native state, Nevada.
Originally part of Humboldt County, Pershing County was established by the Nevada State Legislature in 1919 in response to petitions by the residents of the town of Lovelock. Soon after 1900, sentiment grew among Lovelock residents that Humboldt County resources were inequitably focused in the county seat of Winnemucca (established 1873). Agitation for transferring the county seat escalated in 1918 following a July 20th fire which destroyed part of the existing County Courthouse. Lovelock residents contended that any new courthouse financed by their tax dollars should be constructed in Lovelock. Lovelock took its case to the Nevada State Legislature in 1919. Amidst considerable lobbying, political maneuvering, and accusations of betrayal, the Legislature approved the creation of a new county on March 18, 1919, with Lovelock as its seat. It was named after then popular General "Blackjack" Pershing.
As Pershing County preceded with its organization, Humboldt County to the north began the task of replacing its burnt courthouse. Humboldt County officials enlisted the services of Frederic J. DeLongchamps, Supervising Architect for the State of Nevada, to design the Winnemucca Courthouse.
Source: NRHP Nomination Form