While miners worked nearby streams and veins for gold, George W. Coulter served their needs as merchant
and hotel proprietor. His first store, established in 1850, was a tent stocked with merchandise hauled
in by pack train. Coulter and the town which bears his name prospered, as Coulterville became the business
and social capital of this area.
California Registered Historical Landmark no. 332
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Mariposa County Recreation and
Parks Commission and the Mariposa County Historical Society, June 6, 1959.