California Historical Landmark
McKittrick Brea Pit
Located one-eighth mile west of here is ancient asphaltum seepage in which hundreds of
Pleistocene (15,000-50,000 years ago) birds and animals were trapped. Site first
explored in 1928 by the University of California with excavation completed in 1949 by
Los Angeles and Kern County museums.
State Registered Landmark No. 498
Marker placed by Kern County Historical Society Miocene Parlor No. 228 N.D.G.W.,
El Tejon Parlor No. 232 N.D.G.W. and Kern County Museum.
Dedicated June 29, 1952