Owens Lake Silver-Lead Furnace
The Owens Lake Silver-Lead Furnace and Mill was built here by Col. Sherman Stevens in 1869 and used
until March 1874. James Brady assumed its operation in 1870 for the Silver-Lead Company and built the town
of Swansea. During the next few years the output of this furnace and another at Cerro Gordo was around 150 bars of
silver every 24 hours, each weighing 83 pounds.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 752
Plaque Placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Eastern California Museum Association, November 5, 1961.