Butte County Points of Interest

Oroville Bank of Italy in the 1920s Oroville Bank of Italy in the 1920s
Courtesy Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley
First Banking Institution in Ophir, California Former Bank of Italy on 24 April 2013
First Banking Institution in Ophir, California
24 April 2013

(Click Photos to Zoom)

First Banking Institution in Ophir
Myers and Montgomery Streets
Oroville

The plaque mounted on the side of the building reads:

This tablet commemorates
the establishment
of the
First Banking Institution
in
Ophir
now
Oroville
which was located on this site
and occupied by

McWilliams & Tymeson,
Emery and Faulkner & Co. (1855-1865)
Rideout Smith & Co. (1866-1912)
Rideout Smith National Bank (1912-1922)
Bank of Italy (1922-1927)

And since March, 1927
by the
Bank of Italy
National Trust and Savings Association

Dedicated
to the
Pioneers of California
by
Gold Ophir Parlor No. 190 N.D.G.W.
and
Argonaut Parlor No. 8 N.S.G.W.

Placed May 7, 1927
by the
Bank of Italy
National Trust and Savings Association

The building now houses Oroville Aerie 196 of the Fratenal Order of Eagles.

Prev | Next
Butte County: List | Map
California: List | Map
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter