National Register of Historic Places in Butte County

Centerville Schoolhouse 24 April 2013
(Click Photo to Zoom)
National Register #72000219
Centerville Schoolhouse
13548 Centerville Road
Centerville
Built 1894

In the mid 19th century, men flocked to this region searching for gold.

Butte Creek proved to be very rich in gold and soon had numerous settlements along its banks. Chief among these were Helltown on the north, Diamondville on the south, and Centerville, so-called because it was in the center.

Indians and whites jointly occupied the territory for a time. Later Chinese miners arrived in large numbers. Gradually miners were replaced by homesteaders with farming as their aim. In 1900 one of the state's first hydroelectric power plants was built on the banks of Butte Creek as part of the nucleus of the present day Pacific Gas and Electric Company.

The first private school was founded in the l860's and the first public school opened in December, 1871. That building was replaced in 1894 by the present schoolhouse. Classes were discontinued in 1966 due to unification.

Source: NRHP Nomination Form submitted in 1972.

Some Historic Schoolhouses in Northern California
Prev | Next
Butte County: List | Map
California: List | Map
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter