Amador County bills itself as "The Heart of the Mother Lode" and lies within the Gold Country. The Spanish word amador translates to lover in English.
Amador County was created by the California Legislature in 1854 from parts of Calaveras and El Dorado Counties. In 1864, part of the county's territory was given to Alpine County.
The county is named for Jose Maria Amador, soldier, rancher and miner, who was born in San Francisco in 1794. In 1848, Jose Maria Amador, with several Native Americans, established a successful gold mining camp near the present town of Amador City.
Some of the Mother Lode's most successful gold mines were located in Amador County, including the Kennedy, Argonaut and the Keystone.
"The Luck of Roaring Camp," a short story by Bret Harte, was first published in the August 1868 issue of the Overland Monthly. Harte, who lived in this area for several years, possibly used a mining camp on the Mokelumne River as a model for the fictional Roaring Camp.
Adapted from Wikipedia
Sequenced By City and Address
(Click a Column Heading to Resequence)
|Fiddletown Historic District||1849||Fiddletown Road||Fiddletown||National||1978000655|
|Indian Grinding Rock||14881 Pine Grove-Volcano Road||Indian Grinding Rock SHP||National||1971000133|
|Sutter Creek Bridge||Five Mile Drive||Ione||National||1986000734|
|Scully Ranch||West Marlette Street and Old Stcokton Road||Ione||National||1978000656|
|Centenary Church||1866||150 West Marlette Street||Ione||National||1977000287|
|Preston Castle||1894||Preston Avenue North of Ione||Ione||National||1975000422|
|Butterfield House||115 Broadway||Jackson||National||1986002412|
|DePue House||215 Court Street||Jackson||National||1982002169|
|County Hospital||708 Court Street||Jackson||National||1972000215|
|Kennedy Tailing Wheels||1200 Jackson Gate Road||Jackson||National||1981000146|
|Chichizola Complex||1316-1330 Jackson Gate Road||Jackson||National||1992000979|
|Jackson Downtown Historic District||Main Street From 215 Main Street to 14 Broadway||Jackson||National||2000000365|
|Saint Sava Church||724 North Main Street||Jackson||National||1986000385|
|Sutter Creek Grammar School||1871||Cole Street||Sutter Creek||National||1976000477|
|Knight Foundry||1873||13 Eureka Street||Sutter Creek||National||1975000423|
|St. George Hotel||16104 main street||Volcano||National||1984000757|